Monday, September 21, 2009

Snowflakes keep falling on my head...

Yes, the last official day of summer, Colorado spent it in snow and very cold, windy temperatures. Here in the southern front range it was in the mid 30's and snowing on and off all....all....all day. I am not ready for this.
I am a Carolina girl all the way. I was born there, spent most of my childhood there and returned there for college. I never wanted to leave there. God saw fit for me to leave and direct me down a different path. I pray it is only for a season because my bones definitely enjoy the warmer weather.
I am not ready to be required to start the car and let it warm up before I put my baby in the car (though I NEVER start my car and sit just inside the nice warm house and let the car warm up....you just don't do that...not me). I am not ready to need 10 extra minutes in the morning just to get the coats on and zipped up and look for hats, gloves, boots if applicable. The extra clothing and blankets just to keep them warm is ridiculous. Not to mention the extra driving time it takes as people panic at the words "ice, frost, fog, snow...chance of flurries". That right there automatically mandates and extra 20 minutes be worked into most commutes through town.
Gone are the days of procrastinating in leaving the house to pick my daughter up from school or walk her there in the morning. I now am going to have to find a new routine so she isn't tardy as she was today (I never would allow her to be tardy just because I was too cold and completely understood why she didn't want to get up and get ready). A routine that unfortunately is probably going to cut out or walks to and from school because it is just too cold to walk the baby there and back.
I love the snow, don't get me wrong. The way it falls on the mountains and blankets the trees early in the morning. It is such a beautiful site. I love how a good snow makes the whole world seem to stand still in utter silence and peace. It's a winter wonderland. I love that our daughter found last year that sledding is a fun thing and throwing snowballs at Daddy and the dogs is a wonderfully amusing game. I love most of all how when it snows there is a section of the Peak that resembles a figure resembling Jesus praying on the mtn. It is such a peaceful thing to watch and I look forward to seeing it every year and am sad when you no longer have the image highlighted by the snow.
I do love fall though! The mildly cool temperatures that warrant a long sleeved t-shirt or sweatshirt but not the whole coat and gloves bit. I love the fall colors through the leaves and the way the wind rustles them so methodically it could lull me to sleep. I love that fall is football season and my husband like to sit and watch the games together or via the phone if he's traveling. We have Never sat on the phone quietly for three hours watching a sporting event, that would not be a good use of time or conversation. DEFINITELY not a good way to spend our phone minutes. I love the thoughts of being thankful for the blessings in our lives that comes with Thanksgiving and now, the memory of my son being born the week of Thanksgiving. I love the pumpkin patch, the pumpkin spice lattes/bagels/cream cheese/rolls/really anything pumpkin. I love raking up the leaves into a big huge pile and then jumping in them to spread them everywhere, even though it took me forever to get them into a nice, neat pile.
But today was definitely not the last day of summer, nor was it the beginning feelings of fall. It was a taste of winter. Mother nature not only blessed me with that wonderful gift that seems to vanish during pregnancy and most of nursing but also with a tast of what is to come in the next few months.
All in all it was ok. I picked Monkey up from school and we headed straight to Starbucks so she could use her birthday card to get a hot cocoa..I had to get something so she didn't feel left out. We discussed her classwork, realized she has been nominated and elected to receive a prestigious award at school next Monday (for which we are still uncertain but will find out that morning), reviewed her excelling aptitude test scores and read her library book. It has been a good day.

PS-Please pray for my son though. I take him to the doctor tomorrow for a fever and respiratory complications he has been having the last couple of days. I am sure it's just his teeth coming through but prayers can't hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment